The Alfa Fellowship Program is a distinguished international initiative that each year offers up to 18 accomplished young Americans, Britons, and Germans the opportunity to complete a high-level professional development program in Russia. Over the course of the program, fellows complete work placements at leading institutions, attend professional seminars, and receive intensive language training.
The Alfa Fellowship Program was founded in 2004 with the aim of fostering a community of emerging leaders who have first-hand experience in the business, public policy, and cultural environments of Russia and the region. Since then, over 170 Americans, Britons, and Germans have been able to work, live, and travel in Russia through this unique professional opportunity.
Key goals of the Alfa Fellowship Program are to expand networks of American, British, German, and Russian professionals, develop greater intercultural understanding, and advance knowledge of Russian affairs in the West.
The fellowship provides a monthly stipend, accommodation, insurance, all program-related travel costs, language training in Russia, and private tutoring in the U.S., U.K., or Germany.
The program is funded by Alfa-Bank, and is administered in the U.S., U.K., and Germany by Cultural Vistas and in Moscow by the Fund for International Fellowships and Cultural Dialogue
- U.S., U.K., or German citizen between the ages of 25 and 35 (Russian citizens are ineligible to apply, including individuals who are also citizens of the United States, United Kingdom, or Germany)
- Graduate degree and at least two years of relevant professional experience in business, economics, journalism, law, public policy, or a related field.
- Candidates without a graduate degree completed or in progress must have an undergraduate degree and approximately 5-6 years of professional experience in their field.
Period of Study
The program consists of a year-long, rich professional development experience in Russia.
- Outstanding professional achievement and academic qualifications
- Active involvement in community or public service
- Russian language experience is preferred, however not required, at the time of application. If an applicant does not speak Russian, he or she will need to demonstrate proficiency in another foreign language to qualify for the program
- Evidence of leadership potential
The Alfa Fellowship Program includes the following benefits:
- Round-trip transportation to New York City or London and accommodation (if needed) for selection interviews
- Orientation seminar in Washington, D.C., including speakers, activities, travel, and accommodation
- Program-related transportation between U.S./U.K./Germany and Russia
- Pre-departure and Russia-based language training
- Moscow Seminar Program, including briefings, assignment planning, and excursions
- A generous monthly stipend during the program in Russia
- All program-related travel within Russia
- Accommodation in Moscow
- Limited international health, accident, and liability insurance during the program in Russia
For details regarding the application process and to request access to the online application, please visit the How to Apply section.
The deadline to apply for the 2023-2024 program year is December 1, 2022.
- Recent Graduate
- International Affairs
- Public Affairs/Government
- Social Sciences
- Non English