The American Research Institute in Turkey will offer approximately 15 fellowships for advanced students for participation in the summer program in intensive advanced Turkish language at Boğaziçi University in Istanbul. This intensive program offers the equivalent of one full academic year of study in Turkish at the college level.
Full-time students and scholars affiliated at academic institutions are eligible to apply. To be a fellowship applicant, you must:
- Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level academic program, or be faculty
- Have a minimum B average in current program of study; and
- Perform at the high-intermediate level on a proficiency-based admissions examination
Period of Study
Each class meets twenty hours per week. Classes are held on weekdays from 9 am to 1 pm. They are conducted in Turkish, with informal and formal styles introduced and reviewed through instruction, language laboratory work, and open conversations with teaching assistants. In the afternoon, students meet with teaching assistants on an informal basis for additional instruction and free conversation. Participants also attend extracurricular activities including films, lectures, and cultural events both on- and off-campus.
The fellowships cover round-trip airfare to Istanbul, application and tuition fees, and a maintenance stipend. ARIT fellowship supported courses are offered at the advanced level. Class size is limited to ten students.
Applications are available online. The application includes:
- Application form including your statement of purpose
- Three letters of reference, including one that addresses your abilities as a language learner
- Official transcript
- Application fee in the amount of $25 via Paypal.
Additional information and deadlines are available on the American Research Institute website.
- International Affairs
- Public Affairs/Government
- Social Sciences
- Non English
- Study Abroad
- Middle East