The Cultural Vistas Fellowship affords underrepresented U.S. university students the unique opportunity to advance their career goals, develop global competencies, and experience life in another culture.
Cultural Vistas will select up to 12 fellows to take part in this multinational professional development program that includes eight-week summer internships in Argentina, Germany, and India. Cultural Vistas Fellows will enrich their academic learning through professional internship and immersion experiences focused on entrepreneurship and innovation.
Driven by their commitment to provide more Americans with opportunities to gain meaningful international work experience, Cultural Vistas’ Board of Directors approved that designated reserve scholarship funds be used to establish this multinational fellowship program in 2012.
Fellows in Service
To allow the Cultural Vistas Fellowship to have a greater impact beyond its participants, Cultural Vistas Fellows are required to carry out an educational or service project upon their return home that helps promote international understanding and exchange.
This project can be conducted on the student’s home campus or in their local community, and must be completed during the fall semester directly following their fellowship experience. All Cultural Vistas Fellows must submit a project proposal within their application. This proposal will be reviewed as part of the application process.
Cultural Vistas Fellowship applicants should consider the following when proposing a “Fellows in Service” project:
- Who is my target audience?
- How can I publicize my service project?
- Could I work with an office or organization on campus or in the community to promote my project? Could it further work they are already doing?
Cultural Vistas encourages applicants to think creatively about how to share the learning acquired during their experience and inspire others to engage with the project themes and takeaways. The “Fellows in Service” projects should be multi-faceted, of service to the greater community, and highly interactive.
Cultural Vistas Fellows should submit a small portfolio of their “Fellows in Service” projects once completed.
Candidates for the Cultural Vistas Fellowship must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizens enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at a four-year accredited U.S. college or university
- Sophomore or junior academic status at the time of application; preferred minimum GPA of 3.0
- Ages 18-30
- No formal prior work or study abroad experiences
- Prior knowledge of language of host country
- This is applicable in Germany and Argentina only
Period of Study
Placements occur over the course of one summer.
Strong preference will be given to students historically underrepresented in international exchange. This includes, but is not limited to Pell Grant recipients; veterans; first-generation college students; STEM majors; members of minority communities within the United States; and non-traditional students.
Included in this award:
- All program-related travel expenses, including round-trip airfare to and within one’s internship country; as well as travel to New York City for pre-departure and reentry seminars is covered
- Internship placement in Argentina, Germany, or Hong Kong
- Accommodations throughout program, including pre-departure and reentry seminars
- Virtual learning seminar
- Pre-departure support services
- Cultural orientation upon arrival in host country
- Visa application support (where applicable)
- Emergency medical insurance during internship phase
Students interested in applying for a Cultural Vistas Fellowship should request application materials here.
The Cultural Vistas Fellowship application must be submitted online no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on January 5, and any supporting documents not submitted online or via email must arrive in hard copy by the same date.
Additional information is available on the Cultural Vistas website.
- Study Abroad
- South America