The Fulbright UK Summer Institutes are three-to-four week programs for US undergraduate students. Participants can explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK while experiencing higher education at a UK university.
The US-UK Fulbright Commission UK Summer Institutes are made possible through generous donations from private individuals and partnerships with some of the top UK universities.
These programs are an educational residency program relevant to the host university's cultural, historical and industrial environment.
Depending on the Institute, students will have the opportunity to:
- Study alongside leading academics and professionals
- Develop knowledge in specific fields
- Experience cultural and social events
- Visit museums, galleries, castles, battlegrounds, stately homes and areas of scenic beauty
- Receive credit to transfer to their home institution
- Meet people from across the US and the world
- Become an ambassador for studying in the UK, for the Fulbright Commission and their host institution(s)
To be eligible, students must:
- Be a US citizen and possess a US passport
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the program
- Participate in the program in its entirety
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- Have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
- Have had little or no study or travel outside of the US
Upon completion of the Institute, participants are expected to return to the US to continue their education.
The Institute costs covered by the Fulbright Commission and its partner institutions include:
- Return US-UK airfare
- Tuition and fees at the host institution
- In some cases a small daily allowance for meals
Summer applications open in early fall annually.
Read the terms and conditions before applying
- Apply online
- Scan and upload your official interim transcript to the application form as a PDF
- Speak to two referees, and ask them to upload references on official, signed letterhead as a PDF via the online reference form
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview in April. Summer Institute interviews are by Skype and can only be rescheduled under extreme circumstances.
Applications for the UK Summer Institutes are due in February.
Additional information and application materials are available on the UK Summer Institute website.
- International Affairs
- Public Affairs/Government
- Social Sciences
- Study Abroad