The James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation was established by Congress in 1986 for the purpose of improving teaching about the United States Constitution in secondary schools.
The fellowships are intended exclusively for graduate study leading to a master's degree. James Madison Fellows may attend any accredited institution of higher education in the United States. Each individual entering the James Madison Fellowship Program will be expected to pursue and complete a master's degree in one of the following (listed in order of the Foundation's preference):
- Master of Arts (MA) in American history, political science, or government
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) concentrating on either American Constitutional history (in a history department) or American government, political institutions, or political theory (in a political science department). MAT degrees without required constitutional coursework cannot be approved.
- Master of Education (MEd) or the Master of Arts or Master of Science in Education with a concentration in American history or American government, political institutions, and political theory
Fellowship applicants compete only against other applicants from the states of their legal residence. To be eligible to apply for a fellowship, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be a teacher, or plan to become a teacher, of American history, American government, or civics classes where you will teach topics on the Constitution at the secondary school level (grades 7–12).
- Possess a bachelor's degree or plan to receive a bachelor's degree no later than August 31 of the year in which you are applying.
The maximum amount of each award is $24,000, prorated over the period of study. In no case shall the award exceed $12,000 for one academic year of study.
Application materials and instructions are available on the Foundation website.
Completed applications must be submitted online no later than March 1 of each year.
- Recent Graduate
- Public Affairs/Government
- Social Sciences
- Graduate Study
- Public Service
- North America