The North American Language and Culture Assistants Program is an initiative of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport of Spain. The program is primarily devoted to providing US and Canadian students and graduates -majoring in any subject- who are native speakers of English or French with the opportunity to assist foreign language teachers in a variety of schools in Spain and to learn about Spanish culture and society and also about its education system
You will qualify if you comply with the following criteria:
- Be a holder of a US or Canadian passport
- Hold a minimum of a BA or BS by the end of the academic year preceding the start of the program, be a junior or a senior, or have become a university graduate. Alternatively, you can also hold an Associate Degree or be a community college student in their last semester of studies by the end of the academic year preceding the start of the program.
- Have English or French as your first language.
- Be in good physical and psychological condition. It will be necessary to submit a complete medical evaluation signed by your doctor when it is time to apply for your visa.
- Have a clean background check. You will need to submit a background check when it is time to apply for your visa. You should also have basic communicative skills in Spanish
Period of Study
The program normally goes from the beginning of October until May 31 and it includes paid holidays.
This program covers:
- A stipend of €700 a month is awarded throughout the months of October through May (both included).
- Medical insurance.
- An orientation course at the beginning of the school year.
- An official certificate upon completion issued by the Comunidad Autónoma (region).
Application materials are available on the North American Language and Cultural Assistant Program in Spain.
The application period is typically from January to mid-April; selections are made on a rolling basis.
Specific dates and deadlines are available on the Language and Culture Assistants website.
- Recent Graduate
- International Affairs
- Public Affairs/Government
- Social Sciences
- Non English
- Teach Abroad