The Science, Mathematics And Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program is an opportunity for students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines to receive a full scholarship and be gainfully employed by the Department of Defense (DoD) upon degree completion.
All awardees must be:
- a citizen of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or United Kingdom at time of application,
- 18 years of age or older as of August 1, 2018
- able to participate in summer internships at a DoD facility,
- willing to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD,
- a student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- pursuing a technical undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the About SMART page.
Period of Study
SMART scholarships are awarded for a specific time based on the anticipated degree completion and conferral dates on the SMART Service Agreement. SMART scholarships range from a minimum of 1 year to a maximum of 5 years per award, depending on degree requirements.
Participants in the SMART Scholarship for Service Program receive:
- Full tuition and education related fees (does not include items such as meal plans, housing, or parking)
- Stipend paid at a rate of $25,000 - $38,000 depending on degree pursuing (may be prorated depending on award length)
- Summer research internships
- Health Insurance allowance up to $1,200 per calendar year
- Miscellaneous Supplies Allowance of $1,000 per academic year
- Employment placement at a DoD facility after graduation.
Application instructions and materials are available on the SMART application website.
All applicants are required to submit applications online by December 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM EST
Additional information is available on the SMART website.
- Recent Graduate
- Graduate Study
- Special Groups
- Tuition Aid
- North America