The Global Community Fellowship is a 13-15 month program for graduating seniors and young/ established professionals. Fellows work at NGOs and schools across Asia to support community development and youth education programs. By working directly with communities, fellows get hands-on experience learning how organizations in Asia are using creative and innovative methods to address critical social challenges.
Education-focused Posts — As a teaching fellow, you’ll advance student development using critical thinking, peace and conflict resolution, and cross-cultural communication curriculum. You’ll also help students to access future education and professional opportunities.
NGO-focused Posts — As an NGO fellow, you’ll support community development and international communication efforts by supporting NGOs to access resources, networks, and collaboration opportunities.
Starting and experienced professionals with a BA or BS degree (must graduate June 2018) may apply. Although the fellowship is primarily aimed towards US citizens, we do accept applications from international residents who have a previous connection to VIA or a substantial US connection.
Period of Study
Posts vary from 13-15 months.
Included in your award is:
- Approximately four weeks of training, covering program management, cross-cultural communication, leadership development, local language lessons, and teacher training
- Comprehensive emergency medical and evacuation insurance
- Living and housing stipend (based on local cost of living) while working at your post or on a short-term VIA program
- Intra-Asia travel (from training to your post and wrap-up conference)
- Language study grants and tutors are available at some posts
There are four parts to the online application:
- Personal Information
- Post Preferences
- Short Essay Responses
Detailed requirements are available on the ViA Application website.
Applications open mid-September and are typically due in mid-November.
Additional information and materials are available on the Volunteers in Asia Global Community Fellowship website.
- Recent Graduate
- International Affairs
- Public Affairs/Government
- Social Sciences
- Non English
- Public Service
- Teach Abroad