Book a consultation with the GW Writing Center for an online appointment via Zoom! The Writing Center’s peer consultants facilitate conversations at all stages of the writing process, and work with all members of the GW community, from first-year undergraduates, to graduate students, to faculty and staff. For more information about the Writing Center, including our hours, please visit the GW Writing Center website. Appointments fill up quickly, so book in advance!
- The University Writing Center’s Online Writing Resources.
- The English for Academic Purposes department compiles their GW Campus Resources for International Students guide and a resources webpage for international students.
- Citation Style Guides: Information on the major forms of citation styles (APA, MLA, Chicago, Turabian, and AMA, among others).
- Other Writing Resources
- Grammarly technology can help making your writing clear and mistake-free.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Writing Center Tips and Tools includes handouts with information about writing.
- For students using English as a foreign language, the English for Academic Purposes department recommends Using English for Academic Purposes, which provides a variety of writing resources.
- Writing Commons is a free, comprehensive writing resource for college students.
Book a consultation with a research librarian for a one-on-one appointment, in person or via WebEx, to help you strategize and find the resources you need for projects, papers, presentations, articles, etc. Here are some examples of good times for a research consultation:
- You have a research assignment, but you don’t know where to get started.
- You have a research topic, but are struggling to find the resources you need.
- Finding academic literature is new to you, and you would like an overview of the resources we have available.
Coding, Programming, Data, Statistical, and GIS Consultations
Book a consultation for help with statistical analyses in R, Python, Stata, SAS, and more.
- Statistical analysis using statistical computing packages
- Quantitative sampling
- Data preparation
- Hypotheses testing
Book a consultation with our data services librarian for help organizing your data and preparing your data for long-term storage and sharing.
- Coding and scripting, including review and debugging
- Selecting the best tools for what you need to do
- Data cleaning and wrangling
- Retrieving data from web sites and APIs
- Full-text indexing
- Data visualization
- Programming languages
- Bash shell scripting
- Other tools
- Social media data
- Web scraping
All appointments can be in-person or online via WebEx. Please provide your own device and software, as needed, for your consultation. You can find support for installing common software on our Academic Software & Technology page.
Please note that our consultants do not provide answers to homework problems. For assistance with assignments in computer science courses, students should get in touch with their professor or TA or attend the Computer Science Study Halls. Undergraduate and graduate students are limited to meeting with the statistical and software consultants once per week.